Monday, January 14, 2013

Pinterest: Outback Steakhouse Alice Springs Chicken

Disclaimer: I have never tried this at Outback, so I cannot give you an accurate comparison to their chicken. What I can tell you is, this recipe is delicious, and you should try it! Like TONIGHT!

The recipe is actually fairly simple. From start to finish it will take you about an hour, but you are only working for about the 30 minutes. My 3 year old even ate a few bites of this chicken! (And that is really saying something.)

Start by pounding out your chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. Be sure to trim off any fat. Then rub the chicken with seasoning salt and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
(sorry, if you are grossed out by pictures of raw meat)

While your chicken is refrigerating, fry up your bacon. Yes I do have extra pieces of bacon in my pan. I made them for that 3 year old, cause you know, it is one of the few foods he eats without forcing him. Yup, Bacon, he loves it.


Once your bacon is cooked, remove from the pan and set aside to cool. Now, don't be scared here, add your chicken right into that hot bacon grease. Cook 3-5 minutes on each side until browned. This will give your delicious, moist chicken. Totally worth it!


Make up our honey mustard recipe. I add more mayonnaise because I read a comment from someone who used to work at Outback and he said it is mostly mayo. So I at least double it. I usually do about two large, heaping spoonfuls. I also used course ground honey mustard instead of regular because I feel it has stronger flavor. The same guy who commented on the mayo also said that they use grey poupon. But hey, use what you have!

Place your chicken in a 9x13 pan. I line mine with foil for easier clean up. Spread some honey mustard over each chicken breast. I did about 3 spoonfuls each. Then top with mushrooms, if you like. And lastly crumble bacon over the top.

Place in the oven to bake at 350 for 30 minutes. During the last 10 minutes sprinkle the cheese over the top. When you are done, you will have this. Seriously, looks DELICIOUS. Drizzle some of the left over honey mustard over the top and serve. It think this would be great with a great vegetable and some mashed potatoes. I LOVE red potatoes with just milk, butter, salt, and pepper. I even leave the skins on. They are so flavorful no gravy is needed. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I do!


Outback's Alice Springs Chicken
from: Fabulously Creative
Serves: 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness

Seasoning Salt

6 bacon slices
1/4 cup regular mustard (I used course ground honey mustard)
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise (I doubled the mayo)
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
1 cup sliced fresh mushroom

2 cup shredded Colby/Jack cheese

First, Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with seasoning salt.  Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


While the chicken is in the refrigerator, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp.  Remove bacon and set aside.  ***Do not discard grease.***
Saute chicken in the bacon grease for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned.  Place chicken in a 9" × 13" casserole dish or pan.
To make the Honey Mustard:  In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayonnaise and dried onion flakes.  
Spread some of the Honey Mustard over each piece of chicken, then layer with mushrooms, crumbled bacon.
Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes, add cheese for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
Serve with the left over Honey Mustard Sauce that you made.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily