Friday, February 24, 2012

Pinterest: Hawaiian Sweet Roll Ham Sammies

I have to say the second I saw these on Pinterest, I was like, YUM! They looked so delicious, and to be honest I am not really a ham person, I much prefer turkey, but you know ham and swiss just go together so I stuck with the recipe and used ham. I found this recipe on Pinterest from Beyer Beware. There is also a similar recipe on The Girl Who Ate Everything, where she uses individual rolls as opposed to the King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. I chose to go with the Sweet Rolls because they taste amazing and it was also much faster than cutting and stuffing 24 individual rolls (you will see what I mean).

 Image from Beyer Beware
I made them for our Super Bowl Party, which is more like a small get-to-gather with friends and we usually have cake for my hubby's birthday. Everyone RAVED about them, and I thought they were really good. I would totally make them again for a party. My husband did not enjoy the sauce over the top, maybe too messy, but I liked them that way. I made a double batch so I just put them on a sheet pan instead of two 9x13s. And really they were SO simple too, it maybe took me 10 minutes to put it all together. I really hope you get a chance to try out this recipe, it is awesome!

Chop up your onion, if you have a food chopper, use it! (By the way, I only used one whole onion instead of two for a double batch, and I thought it was more than enough). Then combine your butter, onion, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds in a sauce and simmer for several minutes.
Then cut your entire package of rolls in half lengthwise. Place the bottoms in a foil lined baking sheet and spread 3/4 of your onion mixture on the rolls.


Then layer your ham and then swiss cheese over the top of the onion mixture. I will be honest I didn't go to the deli and get fresh cut ham and cheese I just bought the regular old packaged stuff and it worked out great! So much cheaper too!


Then place the top half over the rolls and spread the rest of the onion mixture over the top. Cover the entire thing with foil and you can bake or refrigerate until you are ready to bake them. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 min. Believe me, you will not regret making these. Oh man, I think I want one right now!

Image from Beyer Beware

Sorry not all of the images are mine, I was in a hurry and my pregnancy brain tends to forget a lot of things. But I promise mine looked exactly the same, and that rarely happens!

Hawaiian Sweet Roll Ham Sammies
Servings: 12 rolls

1 package of 12 Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
1 onion, chopped finely
1 stick of butter
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
3 teaspoons of poppy seeds
1/2 pound of shaved ham
8 slices of swiss cheese

Melt butter in saucepan and add onion. Combine mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and poppy seeds with onion and butter. Simmer for several minutes.
Slice rolls as a group lengthwise and place in a foil lined baking sheet.
Spread 3/4 of the onion mixture over the bottom half of the rolls and top with ham and cheese.
Place roll tops on and spread the remaining onion mixture over the top. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

 
I hope you enjoy these! Let us know what you think! What recipes have you tried and loved from Pinterest?

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily