Monday, February 13, 2012

Pinterest: Chicken Broccoli Supreme

I found this recipe on Pinterest via Just Get Off Your Butt and Bake. She has some great recipes, with lots of inspiration, so go check it out. I was interested in trying this recipe because it doesn't use any mayonnaise or cream of chicken soup. Unlike our families version of this recipe called Chicken Divan, this is a staple in our home and a fairly simple casserole. When my brother returned home from his mission, Chicken Divan was his meal of choice. Too funny. I will have to post our Chicken Divan recipe later.

So this recipe is quite similar in that you have your veggie, chicken, sauce, cheese and crumb topping. I liked this recipe because I felt like it was a little healthier for our family without all the fat or mayo and cream of chicken soup. My husband liked it, but I think he still prefers Chicken Divan so see what you think. I know there are a lot of people out there who HATE using cream of anything soups, so this is a great alternative for you. I definitely suggest that you give it a try!

Make your sauce using butter, cornstarch and water, chicken broth, milk, salt and pepper and cheese. Sounds like a good sauce to me!


Once your chicken is cooked cut it up. How do you like to cook your chicken. I boiled my chicken for a long time, because I could just throw the frozen chicken breasts in and I didn't have to wait to thaw it. But I have learned that chicken just doesn't taste great that way. Thaw your chicken breasts in a Ziploc bag in cold water for a few hours. Then rinse them, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread some olive oil, salt and pepper on them and bake at 350 for about 25-30 min. or until juices run clear. It adds great flavor for chicken in a casserole.

I used frozen broccoli and just steamed it for a few minutes and then I layered the broccoli and chicken in the pan. Add the sauce and the rest of the cheese over the top. Then finish it off with your Ritz, poppy seed and butter mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 min. I actually only made half a batch of this recipe and it could easily feed 4 maybe even 6.

FRENCH CHICKEN BROCCOLI SUPREME
Servings: 8-10

Ingredients:
1 – lb. fresh broccoli Break in pieces, and steam for 2 minutes.
3 cups cooked chicken breasts – Break up in small pieces
3 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese divided
2 tubes Ritz Crackers
1 stick melted butter
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
 
SAUCE:
1/3 C. Butter melted
1/4 C. Cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 C. COLD Water
1/3 C. Chicken Broth
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
2 Cups Milk
1 1/2 cups of the above Cheddar Cheese
Directions:
In greased 13×9 pan, layer the broccoli and chicken, then set aside. In saucepan over medium heat, combine the melted butter, cornstarch dissolved in water, chicken broth, seasonings, and milk. Stir well, and continue stirring until sauce has thickened. Turn heat down to low, and add 1- 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese. Stir until melted. Pour over the chicken and broccoli. Top with 1- 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese.
Melt the butter, and add the poppy seeds, and stir well. Crush Ritz crackers in large zip-lock bag with a rolling pin. Don’t crush too small. Add crumbs to the melted butter. Sprinkle crumbs over the top of the grated cheese.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Eat and enjoy!

Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily